Two people were killed and eight others were wounded in a shooting at an underground New Year’s Eve celebration in downtown Los Angeles early Monday, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.
Shortly before 1 a.m. on New Year’s Day, officers received a radio call of a shooting in the area of 15th Street and Santa Fe Avenue. When they arrived at the cross streets they heard gunshots coming from nearby Porter Street and Santa Fe Avenue. A large crowd was fleeing the area, and several wounded people were lying on the street and sidewalk, police wrote in a news release.
A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, police said. Authorities initially reported three people had been wounded early Monday, but in an afternoon update said eight were injured in addition to the two who were killed. The wounded individuals were treated at hospitals, but police did not provide an update on their conditions.
The shooting victims were attending a New Year’s Eve party in the 2300 block of Porter Street. Authorities believe a dispute between people at the gathering led to the shooting. No information on any suspects was immediately available.
Authorities are asking anyone with information to call Det. Justin Howarth at (213) 996-4143. Anonymous tips can be directed to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS or www.lacrimestoppers.org.